Providence Health & Services Primary Care LPN - Matanuska Cottage in Anchorage, Alaska
Providence is calling a Primary Care Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Matanuska Cottage Dept, Variable Shift, 0 FTE) to Providence Extended Care in Anchorage, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• COMMUNICATES closely with the resident and their family. Keeps the resident/family informed of needs or changes.
• SUPERVISES overall resident care for a specific group of residents within scope of practice according to licensure. This includes performing a month end chart review, that includes, but is not limited to, reviews of the MARs and TARs and Physician orders match, ensures that resident needs are addressed, reviewing documentation for accuracy and evaluating effectiveness of interventions. Also includes an examination of the Resident Daily Care Plan and the Care Plan for accuracy and consistency. Reviews progress notes for any plans that may not have been brought forward at the time of the writing of the periodic assessment note to the care plan and the RDCP.
• ADMINISTERS medications and treatments and provides direct licensed nursing care for a specific group of residents on a given shift.
• CONTACTS other members of the healthcare team as needed. Completes physician orders, insuring diagnosis, or condition with each order. Evaluates justification for each medication as medically necessary. Coordinates efforts to reduce medications. Refers to nursing/social worker intervention prior to gaining an order for a psychoactive medication. Consults MDS Nurse for possible plan of care actions prior to requesting medication or calling the physician.
• REPORTS to the C.N.A.s and gains a return report from the C.N.A.s during the shift.
• COLLABORATES with all other healthcare professionals as needed for service for appropriate residents. Observe and report significant findings to other healthcare professionals. Keep MDS Nurse informed of significant events and changes in condition. Collects data during 7 day assessment MDS periods and provides information to MDS Nurse.
• ASSESSES residents within the scope of practice according to licensure.
• UPDATES the care plan as changes take place and at least quarterly. Consult MDS Nurse for appropriate interventions.
• NOTIFIES the physician and/or nurse practitioner of resident changes of condition and receives orders. Upon a change of condition, will maintain close communication with the MDS Nurse for further assessment. MDS Nurse will determine if the change of condition needs further changes related to MDS.
• ATTENDS AND PARTICIPATES in resident care conferences.
• Acts as a clinical resource. Role models collaboration and partnership with physicians, staff, residents, family and other departments. Participates in the orientation and training of new staff.
• COMPLIANCE: Direct and administer assigned functions to ensure high quality, cost effective resident services which meet or surpass survey standards. Assure adequate preparation for, and participate in regulatory compliance surveys.
• Demonstrates awareness of human and resident rights's in all aspects of care, treating each resident and co-worker with respect and dignity.
• Seeks to expand personal professional growth by individual study of current information related to current nursing techniques and Long Term Care specialty issues. Attends meetings and in-services including mandatory and interdepartmental in-services as assigned.
• Completes Competency Plan for assigned job and department.
Required qualifications for this position include:
• Coursework/Training Graduate of an accredited School as a License Practical Nurse Or equivalent educ/experience
• Current license in the State of Alaska as a License Practical Nurse
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from American Heart Association (AHA) upon hire or obtained within 30 days of hire
• Municipality of Anchorage food handler permit or the ability to attain certification within 21 days of hire.
- Preferred qualifications for this position include: • 6 months nursing experience in a health care facility preferred (acute care, long term care, rehabilitation center).• Supervision/leadership.
About Our Community
Providence Extended Care at the Cottages is located on a campus that includes eight cottages and a Commons Building. The Cottages are home to 96 residents. The Commons Building includes the facility reception area, Resident Bank, Gift Shop, Rehabilitation Therapies, Chapel, Supplies, Plant Services, Dietary, Support Services, Staff Development, Administration offices and Conference Rooms. The Cottages bear the names of Alaskan rivers and are arranged in alphabetical order along Compassion Circle.
Each cottage is a home that contains 12 private bedrooms/baths situated around a warm, inviting hearth and living area. An open kitchen allows residents and guests to enjoy the aromas and happenings of a kitchen, just like home. Each Cottage includes a Den along with a Spa and beauty/barber shop station. A patio off the dining area provides easy access to the outdoors and gardening opportunities. Large windows in the living area provide views for all to enjoy.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: LPN/LVN
Req ID: 242610